Capacity Building Overview
- Indian Institute of Health and Family Welfare (IIHFW) has embarked on a
paradigm shift in training by moving from a low-scale, incremental-impact
training to a high-scale, high-impact training.
- IIHFW adopts the cascade training model wherein it first conducts a state-
level training of trainers (ToT) series in a mandated training area for
competent trainers, proportionately nominated from all the districts, and
follows it up by ensuring that the same trainers conduct district-level
training in their respective districts.
- An analysis of the district-level training rollout reveals that there is a
gradual shift from knowledge-centric training to skill-centric training.
- The training programs are closer to ground realities and more aligned to
health facility requirements.
- The focal training areas are RMNCH+A, maternal health, child health, family
planning, ASHA training, RBSK, and RKSK.
- IIHFW is reaching out to multiple stakeholders by serving as a hub of
departmental review meets, consultative workshops, brainstorming
workshops and awareness campaign meets on one hand and conducting
training programs for related stakeholders like Commissionerate of
Collegiate Education and graduation and post-graduation nursing students
from public and private nursing colleges on the other hand.
- IIHFW is engaged in Kayakalp, a national quality health assurance award
scheme, by conducting awareness workshops.
- The IIHFW faculty are also providing technical support, counselling and
mentoring services to the institutional training clients.
- IIHFW enhances the training ambience by participating in the state-
sponsored Haritha Haram program with zeal by planting various medicinal and
non-medicinal plants throughout its campus.
- IIHFW has focused on strict implementation of training guidelines
circulated by National Health Mission (NHM) to ensure that training is
qualitative and effective.
- Since training has the potential to dramatically boost daily work
performance, IIHFW has mandated district training monitoring, which is
done by its faculty members, who are responsible for compliance with NHM
training guidelines and who have to ensure superior training delivery and
comfort for the trainees in terms of food, accommodation and learning
- IIHFW has lately adopted public health informatics training on a large scale
through some major subjects that are dealt with in exclusive public health
informatics training and also as part of several mainstream training
programs, those being health management information system (HMIS),
mother and child tracking software (MCTS), training management
information system (TMIS), RCH portal, community based maternal death
review (CBMDR) software, facility based maternal death review (FBMDR)
software and infant death review software.
- IIHFW has undertaken translation and training content development with
- Some prescribed Government of India training modules were translated from
English to Telugu for the benefit of trainees in districts by utilising
multimedia software like Adobe Photoshop and Anu script manager software,
especially in ASHA training, adolescent health and RBSK.
- Courseware is compiled and handed out to trainees, through hard copy or
soft copy in pen drive, so that it serves as a ready reckoner to trainees long
after completion of training.
- IIHFW has also designed some posters and other IEC resources to aid in the
capacity building exercise.
- The regular internal faculty, regular deputation faculty, regular
administrative staff, contractual RCH-II project staff, outsourced
administrative staff and outsourced support services staff in the institute
blend seamlessly in teamwork and ensure that minimum standards and better
practices are followed to deliver value-added public health training.
- IIHFW looks forward to multiple capacity building engagements in public
health and strengthen its status as a public health training institute of
choice in Telangana state in the coming years.